Logan County has a rich history. Tour the Bibb House, the Saddle Factory, the Auburn Museum, Shaker Museum at South Union and much more.
Dig up your roots at the historic Old Jail, now housing the Logan County Genealogical Society. The Old Jail as well as the Logan County Public Library are a wealth of information.
Running through the heart of Logan County, Hwy 68-80 holds a feast of activities for everyone from shoppers to historians.
For the shopper in everyone, visit Logan County's gift and antique shops. Located across the county, the shops have something for everyone.
In the 1792 era, the Shawnee from north of the Ohio were along with Cherokees, Choctaws, and Creeks from the south, and other tribes frequent visitors here. Indians and pioneers both used places like the Big Spring of never-failing supplies of water for gathering places, pitched their tents and camped there. Mr. John Viers, one of the first settlers in the area, owned all the land on the north side of what is now hwy 68-80. Mr. Viers gave the Big Spring to the town. The town grew around its water supply and in 1858 the L & N Railroad ran its Bowling Green to Memphis branch through the town, at which time Mr. Viers gave the land for the railroad depot. Woodville as the town was called at that time began to groom itself for growth.
Mr. A.J. Corning or Carney, a schoolteacher/surveyor from New York gave Woodville a new name, Auburn, for his native town of Auburn, N.Y. The village began to flourish when E.R. Gordon erected a flourmill and woolen cloth manufacturing facility just below the head of Black Lick Creek, near the present location of the Auburn Hosiery Mill.
The town was incorporated in 1865. An article in The Kentucky State Gazette of 1879 reads, Auburn has a population of 700, with 4 churches; two steam flour mills; a good public school; and ships tobacco, wheat, pork and corn. The Western Union Telegraph and Adams Express have offices there.
There were two blacksmith shops and a livery stable in Auburn in 1871. Mr. Joe Price owned the livery stable at that time. The stable passed through many hands before being bought by my grandfather, W. H. Pugh in 1922. The stable was located on the west side of Black Lick Creek and the blacksmith shop beside it.
In 1879 there were 4 doctors and one dentist practicing in Auburn.
The Methodist Church is the oldest church in Auburn. Organized before 1865, the present building dating from 1937, is the third occupied by the congregation. The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1865 and the first building was erected in 1867. The Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in 1866 and was reorganized in 1906. The Baptist Church was also begun in 1866. Liberty Baptist church, three miles north of Auburn was organized in 1828. The Christian church was organized in 1890 and the Church of Christ about 1950.
In 1894 John B. Gaines of Bowling Green began a weekly newspaper, The Auburn Advocate. In the late 1920s Roy McDowell started the Auburn times, which he sold to Mr. Percy Hurt in 1930. Mr. Percy continued the paper until 1952. Beginning in 1953 the News-Democrat publishing company at Russellville printed the paper as the Auburn News.
The Auburn Hosiery Mill, owned by Roger Kimball was organized and had been in operation since 1937. There were two large grain mills; the Auburn Mills and the Auburn Roller Mills, at that time employed about 42 people between them. Grahams wood working shop worked 14 and shipped church furniture all over the United States. Auburn in 1957 was exactly one mile square, the population was 950, and could certainly live up with its slogan: Large enough to serve you and small enough to know you.
Auburn Antique Mall 106 West Main Street
270 542 6687
Fountain Place Antiques 114 East Main Street
270 542 7700
This Shaker community was established by the Shakers in 1807 and closed in 1922. They kept journals of their activities and from these journals, we can catch a glimpse of the history of their daily lives, their belief in work and worship, their inventions and contributions, the birth of the seed industry, textile production and what it was like to live during that period of time.
The Shaker Tavern, built in 1869 as a business venture for the South Union Shakers, housed a hotel for the "people of the world." The Shakers leased the building to an outside interest for one hundred dollars a month, leaving its management to the "world."
The Shaker Tavern is owned and operated by the Shaker Museum at South Union. It is located 1.25 miles west of the Shaker Museum at South Union on Highway 73 just off Hwy 68.
Reservation Information The Shaker Tavern offers six guest rooms that share a common area on the second floor landing. Accommodations include full breakfast. Optional evening meals prepared by reservation. For reservations: (270) 542-6801 or Toll free 1-800-929-8701
WMTH CORPORATION PO BOX 51153 BOWLING GREEN, KY 42102 PHONE (270) 792-5300 FAX (270) 721-0004